Sunday, June 22, 2008

Making Ice Cream










One of the things I wanted to buy with my birthday money was an ice cream maker. We had the old fashioned (well it wasn't hand crank but still) machines where you use the rock salt and ice. It does a great job but it's really loud and the rock salt & ice are just more work than I'm willing to do. So, on Saturday AM, I went and did a little birthday shopping for myself and bought the machine (as well as 2 pairs of sandals & the dress I'm wearing - Thanks Mom & Bubba & Gene & Mary). You have to let the bowl freeze 6-22 hours and then it only takes 20-30 minutes to actually make the ice cream. The only thing I like about Ben & Jerry's ice cream is the combo of ingredients. Their social positions get on my nerves and I don't think the ice cream itself tastes very good. But, they have the best crunchies in their ice cream for sure. So, I made vanilla ice cream and added what I feel like Blue Bell should have in theirs..... butterfinger, crunch, snickers, and tiny peanut butter cups (they do have Moo Tracks and it's one of my favorites b/c of those). What I realized is that making your own ice cream is more expensive than buying Blue Bell even if it is close to $6 a gallon at HEB (I usually buy it if it's $4.50 or less at Randall's or Walgreens). Still it's a fun thing to do and Coralee had a blast. Isn't that smile worth it all? Plus, the ice cream is pretty yummy. Here's the recipe we used along with some other variations.




No comments: