As I was reading to Coralee before bed last week on vacation, she requested that I make fried chicken. I hate to fry food - absolutely and totally hate the smell and mess and potential of being popped or starting a grease fire. Anyway, as we were reading the last page of The Farm Book it says "Bobby and Betty are happy Mother has made fried chicken for supper" and Coralee requests that Mommy make fried chicken. I said something about how I believe that other people should fry my chicken and that Church's does an awfully good job. But, I couldn't disappoint my girl so on Monday, I fried chicken for the first time ever. It was okay but I still think Church's does a better job!
I should say, too, that this was her first drumstick. We're firm believers in chicken coming without bones. Poor thing didn't know what to do with it and was trying to cut the meat off with her little plastic knife.
The same day, she was outside "picking" blueberries off of the yaupon bush in the front yard due to reading Blueberries for Sal. Her other request was that we can blueberries for the winter since that's what Sal & her Mom were doing in the book. Absolutely precious and we will be canning something soon!
Oh, and another vacation story (along with a Robert McCloskey book) is that she called the baby ducks in the pond in Telluride Jack, Kack, Lack, Mack, Nack, Ouack, & Quack. We haven't read Make Way for the Ducklings much because it's so long, but obviously it stuck with her. I really, really want to bring her to Boston to see the little duck statues and the public gardens.
All I can say is I am SO thankful for Kiddie Lit during college! :-)




No comments:
Post a Comment