Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Lincoln's Neurologist Appointment
I'm really happy with the neurologist and her office. Everyone was incredibly nice. First we had the EEG. I wasn't sure he was going to cooperate. He was a little agitated until Ken got him to talk about the horses in our front yard. He perked up and did everything he was asked to do. The funniest thing was the point where he was supposed to go to sleep. He bounced around like crazy for a good while and then flopped onto his belly and fell asleep. We went out into the waiting room and had almost an hour to wait for the doctor. It wasn't that she was late but that there was an hour between the two appointments. At one point in time, Ken took him outside because he was walking around on the chairs in the waiting room. Again, such a tired little boy! Ken had him run in the hallway outside the office for a little bit. Boys!!! Ironically the exam room was filled with things from IKEA. There were tables & chairs, toys & coloring books. He was pretty good but by this time he truly was exhausted. I really liked the doctor. She gave us lots of information and was really reassuring. His EEG came back normal except for one part of the brain working a little slowly. She thought that was a result of the two seizures being so recent. We're supposed to bring him in for an MRI soon just to make sure there aren't any problems that weren't seen with the CT scan. So, all in all, she said that she isn't seeing any reason that he is having these seizures. This is the best case scenario and hopefully the MRI won't show anything. She recommended medication (Keppra) to control the seizures. He'll take it for the next 2 years. The studies show that taking it less than 2 years makes it more likely that they'll have another seizure. Anything more than 2 years doesn't have any benefits. We also have Diastat to give him if he has a seizure longer than 5 minutes or he has more than 2 seizures in 3 hours. Technically, he has been diagnosed with epilepsy because he has had several seizures but it's highly likely that he won't continue to have them. There's a chance that his meds may need to be adjusted but there's a wide range in the safe doseage. If he does have another seizure, we'll just need to call the neurologist's office to talk about changine the doseage. The seizures are likely something he'll grow out of which is a big relief. I'm about delirious but wanted to get this typed up tonight. We have been so blessed to have so many friends praying for us and Lincoln. I try hard not to be a worrier. Infertility busted up any thought that I have control over anything. In so many ways, our children were placed into God's hands before they were even conceived. We trust that God's plans are good and that Lincoln is fearfully & wonderfully made. We have felt His peace through this entire process. I know that prayer made a huge difference. We can't even begin to say thank you enough!




2 comments:
Edan, Your positive outlook is such an inspiration. We will continue to pray for Lincoln and for you all as he starts on this medication.
That's wonderful! We'll keep praying that the medicine will go smoothly. Somehow times like these do always remind us that God has them in His hand and that we really don't. When Adrian was going to be born early, I remember trusting in the fact that God was holding him even though I couldn't yet. He loved him even more than I did, and He had His best planned for him. Praying for you!
Post a Comment