Tuesday, January 11, 2011
The craziest 24 hours in my life!
Yesterday afternoon Lincoln had his second seizure. It was almost identical to his seizure a week and a half ago. It wasn't as terrifying but it was still stressful. He had been playing in his room after waking up from nap and all of a sudden I heard the scream. I knew immediately it was a seizure and ran to his room. He had slumped over onto his train table and I put him on his side in his bed. As the seizure finished, I had Coralee get the phone so I could call Ken. He headed home immediately and called the Blackwoods. I was trying to call Shannon at the same time she was calling me. They headed over to take care of the girls. I was rushing around checking on Lincoln (poor little boy in the postictal stage was tired and resting in bed) and trying to pack a bag for the hospital. When we were discharged from the ER, the nurse had said to come back if he had another seizure and plan on staying the night if he did. After Ken got home, we got Lincoln into the car and headed to the ER. We are blessed with such wonderful friends; what a relief to know the girls would be taken care of so well! Last time, we arrived at the ER in style. There was no waiting with the general public. Last night was a totally different experience. It didn't take long to see the "Quick Look" nurse who took his vitals and wrote down what had happened. After that we went to another less crowded waiting room. As time went on, more and more people came in. It was nuts! I'm spoiled by the well/sick rooms at the pediatricians' office and the fact that usually we're the only ones in the waiting room and we don't even stay there long. There were kids with face masks because they were coughing. One little baby puked what seemed like her entire bottle. I Lysoled my coat & Lincoln's just because we were in that room. I've never seen so many sick kids. After 3 hours we finally got to go back to a room. More waiting for the nurse to get vitals again and then the ER doctor came into the room. In between, Lincoln was literally bouncing off the walls. I think he was exhausted and trying to stay awake. The doctor said that was good that we were seeing the neurologist the next day and he talked to the neurologist on call about what to do next. They said that as long as his seizures weren't longer than 5 minutes that it was fine for us to just go to the appointment. Kind of felt like a waste of 5 hours of my life but the ER doctor and the neurologist both agreed it was worthy of the trip. We stopped by Whataburger for dinner and then headed home around 10:30. It was probably midnight by the time I got to sleep which was the second night in a row where I was up that late. My plan had been to sleep in as long as possible and hopefully get a little school work done with Coralee before we left for his appointment. Instead, I woke up to Lincoln doing the scream at 6 AM. I had been sleeping on the couch because I had a hard time getting to sleep between the stress and Ken's sweet sleeping noises. I'm a little jealous that he can just turn things off and go to sleep. I just can't. So, I went running into his room (Ken was taking his shower). Everything was the same. We had been given the nurse line number for the ER for just in case he had another seizure that night. I stayed in Lincoln's room while Ken made the call. Since I was the one who saw the seizure I talked to the nurse. She had me try to get him to wake up and respond to me. She had me call the neurologist's office to talk to the doctor on call. We don't believe in coincidence or luck; God is sovereign and in control. The doctor on call was Dr. Elton, who we were seeing in the afternoon. She said there wasn't anything she could do since he wasn't on any medication that could be adjusted and to wait for the appointment. Things felt like they were on fast forward from that moment on. Ken stayed home until I got my shower and I had him call my Mom to let her know he had another seizure. I talked to her for a while and then my sister. The house was a mess when we left Monday evening. We try to pick up every night but we're lax on the weekends and CC started back on Monday so I spent a lot of my time getting things ready for class. When I got home, I just left things where they landed. Shannon's a good enough friend that I wasn't embarrassed entirely by the clutter but it still bugged me. Plus, while I couldn't control Lincoln's seizures, I could control the house. There was much weeping and gnashing of teeth when I told Lincoln he had to take a bath before the EEG. Lauramae smashed her pinky in the dresser in our room and was crying like her finger had been ripped off. I lost it a little and IM'd Ken to come home. We got beds made....because we do that EVERY day ;-) and laundry started before we left. We dropped the girls off with Teresa and headed to the doctor with a quick trip to Quiznos for lunch. Mmmm, Sammies. This is getting long so I'll put the diagnosis stuff in another post.




No comments:
Post a Comment