Tuesday, June 26, 2007

A New Attitude.... we think

I had seen the "If-Then" Chart at several friend's homes and thought it was really neat..... offense, applicable Bible verse and blank spot for consequences. We've been at the point where we felt Coralee was ready to understand WHY she should or should not do certain things. She needs to know that obedience is a matter of the heart not just because Mommy & Daddy say so. I was very excited to order my charts and get them on Saturday but we didn't get a chance to sit down and really talk through things until Sunday evening. I wanted to use some of the things I've read in Lisa Whelchel's Creative Correction book instead of just "sit on the step" and I'm going to take away "Happy Marbles". So, I searched the book for ideas that would work with different offenses. We also have the "Blessings" Chart with positive behavior listed, then Bible verses and rewards to balance out the negative stuff. I believe fully that God's word is powerful as it says in Hebrews 4:12, "For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart." It was funny on Monday that just this verse (Phil 2:14) made such a difference in our day, "Do everything without complaining or arguing." She gave Ken a hard time at bed time last night but he said her attitude was different. What an encouragement to me. Today has been better although definitely had it's rough spots.

No comments: