Friday, October 03, 2008

A May Surprise

Monday morning I took a pregnancy test and to my surprise it came up positive immediately. My progesterone levels with Lincoln and Coralee were low so I called my ob/gyn's office and had blood work done on Tuesday. I should back up a little and say something about Ken's reaction. With the other kids, I just called Ken on the phone but decided that this time should be different. So, I made him a card with pictures of May flowers or a June bug and attached the pregnancy test. It was hard to keep quiet all day and once he got home, he talked to our neighbor about their new baby for a while. I could hardly wait for him to get inside. All he kept saying was "What?". It was sweet. He prayed with me with Lincoln crawling all over us.

So, fast forward to the next day. I had a follow up appointment with my endocrinologist about my thyroid stuff. On the way, I "bonked" another car. It wasn't bad at all thankfully (just a small dent on Ken's car and a scratch on the other man's car). Needless to say, my blood pressure was super high when they checked it. After I was done there, I went down to Dr. Seeker's to get my blood work done. I met Ken up at work to trade vehicles/get the kids and we ran some errands and then went to the mall for lunch with a friend. I did a little shopping after lunch and by then Lincoln was melting. He cried the entire way out of the mall.... right when the nurse called me back with results.

I got the kids down for their nap and checked my messages. The nurse said that I was definitely pregnant but my progesterone was really low. She asked if I could come in that afternoon for an ultrasound to check for a heartbeat. I didn't really think I could be that far along. Ken came home and stayed with the sleeping kiddos. As usual, I had to wait a while to see the doctor but the great news is that we did see a heartbeat and I am now 9 weeks pregnant with a due date of May 8. So, if I was surprised initially I was even more surprised by how far along I am. I go back next week for another ultrasound and my official first ob appointment. As for the progesterone stuff (my level was 9.15 and they want it to be around 15), they gave me a progesterone shot there in the office and I got a prescription for suppositories.

We told Coralee Tuesday evening and she didn't seem too excited. As the days have gone by she's named the baby "Patches" and given it kisses before she went to bed. She's colored pictures for it, too. She has suggested the name "Carter" (you know, like Carter's or Penney's - maybe we shop too much). At first I thought that was a good name then I realized we have a Lincoln - one of the best presidents. I can't name my kiddo after one of the worst. So, back to the drawing board on names. :-) Needless to say Lincoln has no opinion although I think he may have been one of the first to know since he weaned himself pretty much once I got pregnant.

It is so amazing to me to look back over the last few years. 5 years ago we were in the beginning of an IVF cycle. I can't begin to say how hopeless I felt after that didn't work. To sit here and be pregnant with my 3rd child is just incredible. All I can think of is this verse, "He settles the barren woman in her home as a happy mother of children. Praise the LORD." Psalm 113:9.

4 comments:

Amy T. S. said...

My nephew wanted to name his baby brother Pinkle. He wanted to name Erik Pinkle, too. We decided not to. You can have Pinkle if you want! (Link and Pink)

Renae said...

Congratulations, Edan! What a fantastic blessing. Careful, though. The jump from two to three is like the jump to hyperspace. Hope you feel well through the next few weeks!

Rachel Ogea said...

We are thrilled! Now if we can just get back to Texas so our kiddos can play with their cousins!
Love,
Jody & Rachel

Suzie said...

What a wonderful surprise! Congratulations!!! We are so happy for you guys.